Saturday, March 19, 2005

Digital Camera

If you haven't bought one yet, go to the gphoto site and make sure what you're about to buy is supported ! (http://gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php).
If it's not .. you are looking for a world of pain :)

On my RHEL machine, I had to upgrade gphoto so it supported my Canon camera, and I never got it to work quite right. Also, the applications that come with RHEL to manage pictures are lame ! and I was never able to install gthumb that looked cool because the gnome version was too low.

On Mandrake, they have Digikam. Great application! very easy to use and does all the camera detection too.
However, one catch people ... It took me 3 frikin weeks to figure out that some computers (mine included) have different USB buses on the motherboard!!

My Dell Precision workstation has a USB 1.1 bus in front and USB 2 bus in the back .. go figure.
It wouldn't really matter except that when I connected the camera to the 1.1 bus, it got detected, but then gphoto was not able to communicate with it!

If you are looking for a way to figure out the speed of your bus, I don't know if that's the recommended way, but I just looked in the dmesg log. While booting the system will tell you the speed of the bus.
Mine says:
usb 1-2.3: new full speed USB device using address 3 the bus.
usb 2-1: new low speed USB device using address 2
(note the different terms "low speed and full speed")

It drove me crazy for days .. once I moved the camera to the fast bus ..that did the trick !

No comments: