Saturday, May 21, 2005

mplayer is a better movie player !

Ok, so I tried Kaffeine (based on Xine) for a while .. I even upgraded to the latest xine engine and the latest Kaffeine version. And yet, some movies (mostly WMV) get distorted all the time. It kind'a looks like the refresh on the image does not work properly.
So, I gave up, and installed mplayer. I have to report, it's much better !
I think it loads faster, it plays inside the browser (unlike Kaffeine) and most important support movies better.

Installation is very quick using urpmi. As simple as: urpmi mplayer
This will install mplayer, and you still need the mplayer plugin for your browser. The latter can be installed using: urmpi mplayerplugin

Assuming you are like me .. you have Mozilla and FireFox installed, so the mplayerplugin gets installed in the wrong directory ...
To fix that, you just need to copy the file to the right places:
cp /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/mplayerplug-in.so /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
cp /usr/lib/mozilla/components/mplayerplug-in.xpt /usr/lib/firefox/components

And that's that!

happy movie watching..

No comments: